10 cups vegetable stock
1oz dried porcini mushrooms
4 medium beets, peeled and sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
2 cups red cabbage, chopped
4 roma tomates, chopped
1 can white kidney beans
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp chopped dill
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Juice of one lemon
1. Heat 10 cups of vegetable stock. Soak dried porcini mushrooms in
2 cups stock for 1 hour and then strain the mushrooms and add the soaking liquid to the remaining stock. Chop the porcini mushrooms and set aside.
3. Peel and dice beets and carrots.
4. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion,1 tsp salt, and bay leaves. Sauté until the onion is soft. Add the chopped porcini and carrots and sauté 10 more minutes. Stir in the beets and red cabbage, and another teaspoon of salt.
5. Add stock to cover and bring to a simmer until vegetables are tender.
6. Add tomatoes, white kidney beans, balsamic vinegar, 1tbsp dill, and 1tbsp parsley.
7. Simmer for 20 minutes. Before serving, season with the juice of 1 lemon, remaining dill and parsley, and a few pinches of pepper and more salt if necessary.