1 ½ litres chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
1 large head of broccoli (with stems)
roughly chopped 1 medium cooking onion
roughly chopped 5 cloves garlic, whole, skins removed 2 bay leaves
whole 1-2 cups water
1 ½ cups coconut milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground paprika
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste Cayenne and chili flakes, to taste
Optional Garnish (per serving)
1 tbsp organic plain Greek yogurt (optional)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp dried peppermint leaves
crushed ½ a green onion, finely sliced
1. In a large stock pot, over high heat, place broth, fennel, broccoli, onion, garlic,
and bay leaves.
2. Add enough water so that all ingredients are submerged, with a little over the top.
3. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and let the mixture cook until all vegetables are soft enough to mash with a fork, about 30-40 minutes.
4. Carefully fish out the bay leaves and discard.
5. Ladle the vegetables and broth into a blender (you may have to do this in 2-3 batches) and blend on high until mixture is smooth. (Important: Remember to remove the center of the blender lid and cover it with a tea towel to allow steam to escape).
6. Transfer the blended mixture into another stock pot, over medium-low heat.
7. Add in coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, paprika, and other seasonings, to taste.
8. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
9. Chill to serve later or ladle servings into a bowl, about 2 large ladlefuls per serving.
To garnish, put a dollop of plain Greek yogurt in the center. Combine olive oil and dried mint leaves and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle shopped green onions over the top and serve.