Adapted from mynewroots.org
1 large butternut squash
2 large yellow onions
8 cloves garlic
2 tsp. ghee or coconut oil, plus olive oil for garnish
1 tsp. both sea salt and cracked black pepper (to taste)
3-4 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. grated fresh turmeric or 2 tsp.
ground turmeric powder
2 tsp. each fresh / 1 tsp dried rosemary and thyme (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Peel and cube the butternut squash and place on a baking sheet. Peel and
cut onions into quarters, add to baking sheet.
3. Peel whole cloves of garlic and add to baking sheet.
4. Drizzle with melted ghee or coconut oil and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Place in oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes until the squash is tender and the garlic is golden.
6. In a large blender pour 3 cups hot vegetable broth, turmeric (fresh or dried) and add the finely chopped rosemary and thyme. Carefully add the roasted vegetables and blend on high until completely smoot.
7. If the soup is too thick, add more broth to thin to desired consistency. Season to taste.
8. Pour soup into bowls and serve with a sprinkling of chickpea croutons and a drizzle of olive oil. If necessary, pour into a large pot to reheat if necessary.
9. Keeps for 3 days in the fridge. Freezes well.