1 bunch of collard greens, washed and rinsed
(a couple of times to really get the dirt out!)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Generous pinch of red chili pepper flakes
Juice of half a lemon
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water comes to a boil,
add 1 tbsp of sea salt and add the collard greens.
2. Boil for four minutes and then transfer to the a bowl of ice water. Drain, and slice into thin ribbons. Set aside the cooking water.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saute pan, and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
4. Add 1 tsp of sea salt, the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about five minutes.
5. Add the collard greens, and stir together for a few minutes, then add 1 cup of the cooking water.
6. Bring to a simmer, cover partially, and simmer over low heat for one hour, stirring often and adding more cooking water from time to time, so that the greens are always simmering in a small amount of liquid.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning with more sea salt and the fresh lemon juice.