1 cup brown basmati rice
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
2 pears, peeled and diced
½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 green onions, finely sliced
1. In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent.
3. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
4. Add rice and stir to coat.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
6. When rice is tender, remove from heat and add thyme, celery, pears and toasted walnuts.
7. Cover and let stand another 5 minutes
8. Add salt and pepper and garnish with green onions.
Are you on the creamy potato salad side or the non-creamy vinaigrette potato salad side? I am a big fan of dijon mustard and olives. I always make a little extra dressing to leave in the fridge for a salad the next day.